PEACE SUPPORT OPERATIONS STAFF OFFICERS COURSE
Given the multinational and joint character of PSO, coherence and interoperability among nations contributing troops to PSO have to be enhanced. Therefore, education and pre-deployment training of all military personnel on NATO doctrines, standards and procedures of conducting PSO is imperative for all nations contributing personnel to NATO-led PSO.
The aim of the course is to prepare nationally trained staff officers for assignments in multinational tactical level HQ conducting NATO-led Peace Support Operations.
- Describe cornerstones in NATO history and NATO’s structure and organization as well as main principles of NATO doctrinal approach to operations;
- Examine applicability of fundamentals of land operations in NATO-led Peace Support Operations (PSO);
- Describe context and the main principles of Stability Tasks and Activities in PSO environment;
- Summarize measures for effective force protection;
- Explain the legal framework of NATO-led Peace Support Operations;
- Explain integrity challenges in PSO;
- Explain procedures related to Protection of Civilians (PoC), Conflict Related Sexual Violence / Conflict Related – Sexual Gender Based Violence (CRSV/CR-SGBV), gender, and Children and Armed Conflict (CAAC);
- Exercise negotiation and mediation skills in conflict situations;
- Explain the interaction between media and the military in a contemporary operational environment;
- Display cultural competency;
- Administer a Tactical Operations Centre (TOC);
- Manage information in TOC;
- Apply NATO planning procedures for PSO on a tactical level.
- Up to 40 national and international participants
- Military officers from Captain to Lieutenant Colonel (OF-2 to OF-4) from NATO, PfP, MD, ICI
- Participants should be nationally trained in military decision making process or have working experience as staff officers in an national HQs
- Participants should have following standards of proficiency in English (as described in STANAG 6001): 2, 2, 2, 2
- Computer skills: Basic computer handling (MS Word and PPT) is highly desirable
The Course is delivered by national and international instructors and subject matter experts.
20 days before the start of activity.